Owl Image

Suggest treatment for bronchitis

Owl Image
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Question
Hello
Been suffering a bronchitis infection 11days. 2 lots of augmentinev duo forte, anthor and now on doxycycline.
Had X Ray showed infection blood white cells up.
No improvement as yet. Feeling unwell. Had shivers, Temps.
Had steroids.
Sent of mucus sample waiting on results today.
Doctor said infection might not respond to any of those antibiotics!
Fri, 12 Jan 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Well this sounds miserable.

If your Xray showed infection and you have fevers, this may be pneumonia rather than bronchitis.

One class of antibiotics that your doctor(s) haven't tried are the macrolides such as Azithromycin or Clarithromycin. These are particularly effective for pneumonia and other bacterial respiratory infections.

The sputum sample will be helpful. In addition to culturing the sputum, I assume the doctor also ordered a "sensitivity" test which shows what antibiotics the bacteria that is causing the infection (if it is caused by bacteria) is sensitive to.

If you are on multiple antibiotics, if possible, take a probiotic too to keep your gut healthy. Best to take it at least 2 hr. after the antibiotic so the antibiotic doesn't just kill it.

If you smoke cigarettes it would be imperative to quit now so that your immune system can respond adequately.

I know the idea of superbugs are frightening (that's what we call them in the US) but there are other classes of antibiotics that your doctor hasn't tried yet.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.