Suggest treatment for breast cancer, pain in arm and black stool

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Cancer
Question: I am currently waiting to have chemotherapy for breast cancer. Early stage invasive grade 2 stage 1. I am very worried that ovarian cancer has been overlooked. I requested a scan as before the surgery I had pain in my arm on the breast cancer side. The scan showed nothing to be worried about. However the reason I am writing now is that I am terrified that ovarian cancer has been overlooked. I did not realise what the symptoms are, but now looking I can answer yes to most of them. In particular one thing that worries me, I have noticed black stools of late. I thought that was perhaps from taking spirulina etc supplements. My oncologist at the time had a glance over the phone at my scan the other day when pressed re my ovarian query and said the scan showed no pelvic inflammation but I think she just dismissed my qualms.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A normal scan rules out ovarian cancer for all practical purposes.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

Co-existence of breast cancer with ovarian cancer is possible especially with women with a syndrome called Li Fraumeni's syndrome.
However, there is no need to worry.
I can understand your genuine concern.
Black stools can occur due to number of causes most common being bleeding from gastrointestinal tract (GIT),
Is there any history of ulcer, gastritis in the GIT?
If yes then you need to get an upper GI endoscopy to look for any evidence of ulcer or any other bleeding spot.
Ovarian cancer can be screened with routine ultrasonography.
Ovarian cancers present with ovarian mass and the mass is easily detected on ultrasound.
Thus, absence of any mass on ultrasound rules out ovarian malignancy.
Moreover ovarian cancer present with abdominal distension, abdominal pain, menstrual irregularities, etc.
If you get any of these symptoms, you may consult your gynecologist.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 21 minutes later
Thanks that eases my mind a little. I have what feels like period pains in my left ovary area. I have not had a period for 14 months, although 1 interruption with what I thought vwas a short weak period 6 months ago. I am experiencing raging hot flushes and have been via blood tests confirmed to be very menopausal. What do you think bout the period pain feeling? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Menopause has set in, pain could be due to non-gynaecological cause.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,

At the age of 54, absence of menstruation over months accompanied by hot flushes is suggestive of onset of menopause.
Onset of menopause is characterised by cessation of ovulation, however, the process is marked by random ovulation.
Thus, the pain could be due to random ovulation.
However, if the pain is persistent, you need to consult your doctor for further investigations.
The pain could be due to non-gynaecological cause.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri

Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 51 minutes later
Thanks. My next worry is due to waiting lists i am only starting first chemo session on the 27th of August. Surgery was the 1st July. My oncetype score was 32 er 11.o positive , PR neg 3.2, HER 2 10.1 neg. What do you think of time lapse.?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The time gap is not too long and will not have any deleterious effect.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,
The time lapse between your surgery and chemotherapy is not very long.
You can safely take your chemotherapy sessions on August 27.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri