Suggest treatment for blocked renal artery

Question
My cardiologist found a blocked artery to the kidney when he did one of my heart tests and now wants me to go for an ultrasound of the kidneys. I am completely panicked thinking I may have to go on dialysis. I have been taking excedrin for migraines for 10 years. Can you shed some light on this? Or what would the procedure be to unblock the artery? XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Matija Romic 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM

Detailed Answer:
Your doctor probably did ct angiography where renal artery blocakage due to atherosclerosis was found. this was obviously incidental finding and if you dont have symptoms related to kidney and urinary tract and if your creatinin and urea level are fine, then you dont need to worry at all,and dialysis is last thing to think of. Also, even if there was complete blockage of renal artery, the other kidney can do all the function and nothing significant would happen to your health. If there would be symptoms or increase of kidney function markers(urea and creatinin) then vascular surgeon can perform procedure called thrombectomy,but you are still far away from this. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for blocked renal artery 3 hours later
This was wording in report :there are degenerative changes of glenohumeral joints. There is atherosclerotic plaque noted incidentally at the origin of left renal artery with high grade stenosis." I appreciate your response. I was very upset this afternoon and thank you for your good wishes. I am going to get a prescription for this CT scan earlier than 8-12 when he had it scheduled for. Then wait for 2 weeks for him to give me report. That is whole mo. of August. What does blockage due to ATHEROSCIEROSIS mean? Pls. reply. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Matija Romic 40 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM

Detailed Answer:

Even 3 months follow up ct is too early,nothing new will happen. This athersoclerotic plaque was there for long time and it grew slowly during 20-30 years. nothing can happen in short time. Atherosclerosis of renal artery is same one which blocks heart vessels as we seen in heart attack. But in case of kidney artery blockage, consequences are not so bad. It will cause reduced blood flow to one kidney but blood flow will automatically increase in another kidney.

I dont see reason to worry at this point. just take aspirine daily,there is no need for invasive procedures of atherosclerotic plaque removal unless there is serious kidney damage but it would be manifested with significant symptoms and blood work disorders. Degenerative changes of shoulder is expected in your age.