Suggest treatment for black stool

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Yesterday morning i saw some black or dark pieces in my stool . i thought it was vegetables cause i ate abit of leafy vegetables day before. but last night i suddenly had bout of gas attack . and my stomach grumble abit before i slept. this morning my stool looked a weird color. kind of dark greenish brown ? and abit mushy. had like black tiny spots too . what could this be. planning to visit my gp tomorrow cause its abit late already
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Deplenished gut flora.

Detailed Answer:
Most likely you arehaving Gastroenteritis with Gastritis due to mild indigestion.Gut flora is the complex community of microorganisms that live in the digestive tracts of humans. The intestinal microflora is a complex ecosystem containing over 400 bacterial species. The flora is sparse in the stomach and upper intestine, but luxuriant in the lower bowel.Toxins released by bacteria and contaminated food destroys this flora of gut and lead to various problems with digestive system like indigestion and lead to various problems with digestive system including belching, bloating and increased gas formation loose motion or constipation.I would suggest you to start good quality probiotics for a few days.Probiotic mechanisms of action include enhancement of the epithelial barrier, increased adhesion to intestinal mucosa, and concomitant inhibition of pathogen adhesion production of anti-microorganism substances and modulation of the immune system.In LAY MANS language it contain a lot of bacteria's which forms a part of normal gut flora,Hence it substitutes the flora lost during inffection and improve digestion.Take lots of prebiotics in food. Prebiotics are nondigestible food ingredients that beneficially affect the host by selectively stimulating the growth of a limited number of bacteria in the colon, thus improving digestion.Again the work is same to stimulate the growth of the bacteria's in gut flora.Hence overall both of them help restoring the lost gut flora.

Pantoprazole should also be taken for a few days for overall symptoms relief.It will take 3-5 days for the things to get better.
To cut it short advices are-
Take any over counter Probiotic and Tab Pantoprazole 40 mg this will provide you with symptomatic relief,Consult a physician and get a prescription,Get a stool routine and microscopy test done as if there is infection a short term course of antibiotic would also be give.

Along with it Some general measures which will help you more are
- Eat plentiful "fresh oranges" and "pear "
- Add lot of vegetables and fruits to your diet.
-Try to eat vegetable,Take a lot of yoghurt along with food.
-Take two tea spoon isphagula husk with 200 to 300 mL water once while going to bed every day.
- Avoid COLD milk and and AVOID junk food(NO burger , pizza-even if its veg.)
- avoid beverages / alcohol/ soft drinks
- avoid carbonated drinks
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng