Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for bad breath due to water brash

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2544 Questions
Dr XXXXXXX chooudhary when I sleep on my left side, fluids enters my mouth and it stinks really bad, and the smell continues thoughout the day. This condition has been going on for quite a few years. I refuse to leave my house because of my bad breathe. Please help, this has effected my sex life and my social life. Thank you in advance for or help.
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Water brash Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. This fluid seems to be 'Water brash'. Excessive salivation, gastroesophageal reflux and a post nasal drip may be the possible causes. 2. It is important to search for a cause of the excess salivation. Mouth breathing and snoring should be ruled out. Get an Esophageal manometry and an abdominal USG (Ultrasound) done to rule out any hiatus (sliding) hernia. 3. Review any current medications to rule out drug-induced causes. You may try an increased dose of proton pump inhibitors and gut motility enhancers. Lying down on the left side is recommended to reduce reflux, hence this must be water brash. 4. Use medicated mouth washes and steam inhalation. Get a Dental check-up done. A plain Sinus CT may help determine the source of any post nasal drip. Have you had any exposure to chemicals? 5. Anti reflux measures should be taken. Avoid heavy meals, eat at least 2-3 hours before lying down, raise the head end of the bed and avoid any food that you are intolerant to. What is your weight? Weight reduction may help. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor