question-icon

Is ER Consultation Required If A Toddler Eats Scabie Cream?

default
Posted on Mon, 16 Oct 2017
Question: What do I do if toddler eats scaby cream
doctor
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar Jain (23 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Take him to emergency

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform

Most of the scabies cream contains permethrin a pyrethroid compound also used as insecticidal.
It should be used topically and when ingested accidentally may cause mild to severe side effects.
The severity of side effect depends upon the strength of the cream, amount ingested, body surface area and individual metabolism.
Most common side effects are gastrointestinal disturbances that is Nausea, vomiting, loose stool etc. Other side effects can be uneasiness, excessive salivation, sweating, breathing difficulty, rapid heart beat, seizures or loss of consciousness.
Symptoms may appear within few hours of ingestion or upto 12-24 hours.
Management depends on the symptoms and monitoring is needed for vitals and appearance of symptoms if any.
I would suggest you to take him to emergency room even if there are no symptoms for clinical evaluation and also for the monitoring if needed.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Wishing for your child's good health.
Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Pradeep Kumar Jain

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Practicing since :2006

Answered : 2069 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

152 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Is ER Consultation Required If A Toddler Eats Scabie Cream?

Brief Answer: Take him to emergency Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for asking on this platform Most of the scabies cream contains permethrin a pyrethroid compound also used as insecticidal. It should be used topically and when ingested accidentally may cause mild to severe side effects. The severity of side effect depends upon the strength of the cream, amount ingested, body surface area and individual metabolism. Most common side effects are gastrointestinal disturbances that is Nausea, vomiting, loose stool etc. Other side effects can be uneasiness, excessive salivation, sweating, breathing difficulty, rapid heart beat, seizures or loss of consciousness. Symptoms may appear within few hours of ingestion or upto 12-24 hours. Management depends on the symptoms and monitoring is needed for vitals and appearance of symptoms if any. I would suggest you to take him to emergency room even if there are no symptoms for clinical evaluation and also for the monitoring if needed. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions. Wishing for your child's good health. Regards