Suggest treatment for asthma

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have asthma for many years, now I am waking up every three hours. Also say I have very small airways,
feel okay accept last night I slept for 4 1/2 hrs, which is unusual. Woke up breathless, and felt a little dizzy.
I am on med for tachycardia, not active tho, dr. says come back in 6mos. I am in good health or rather
I feel good, and am physically strong and active for a 87 year old. Also in past have been on oxygen, but took myself off. Worried about the sleep situation and feeling bad after a 4 1/2 hr sleep. I catch up on my sleep
during the day. Have a hard time going to sleep. Have tried melanoma, nothing.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You might be having desaturation at night.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Since you were on oxygen in past, your current symptoms might be due to desaturation (fall in oxygen concentration of body) at night.
So in my opinion, you should get done detailed sleep study and consult sleep specialist to rule out desaturation at night.
You may need long term oxygen therapy (LTOT).
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana