Suggest treatment for anxiety, panic attacks and insomnia

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 16 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: What can I do? Going on day 4 with no sleep. I already suffer from general anxiety. Also, you could say I am obsessive compulsive about cleaning my home. Now having bouts of insomnia. Just left a 26 unhealthy relationship and moved back to California. Trying to move forward with my life. Very difficult to concentrate on the very important tasks at hand when I cant breath, my mind is racing and I cant sleep. My panic attacks have been to the level over the last several weeks of my hands, feet, face going numb.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

The treatment of anxiety, panic, and insomnia as you are describing is twofold. First, you need to be on an SSRI antidepressant medication such as sertraline or escitalopram. Second, you need to be in therapy with a trained psychotherapist for cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). These two treatments, particularly when used together, are the standard of care for your symptoms and will certainly help you feel better.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 15 minutes later
Do antidepressants treat severe insomnia, anxiety and panic attacks.?? I am not depressed. I am anxious and can not sleep. Is there a psychiatrist in the Palm Deret area that you can refer me to that could possibly see me now or at 8:00 am?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Yes, antidepressants are the treatment of choice for anxiety disorders, panic disorder, and insomnia caused by anxiety. It has nothing to do with depression. Unfortunately I am not aware of any psychiatrists in that area. Call your insurance company for a referral.

Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 38 minutes later
Thank you. I do not have insurance. Nor do I have Onama care. I will make some calls in a few hours to a licensed psychiatric professional. My concern is the both medications you stated are basically forms of Prozac which clearly states that common side effects are insomnia and anxiety. I don't think I would find the side effects helpful as that is what my current problem is.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Antidepressants are the standard treatment for anxiety and anxiety-related insomnia. There are more than 20 antidepressants to choose from, not just Prozac, all with different side effect profiles. I strongly encourage you to work with your doctor to find one that works for you. Good luck!