Suggest treatment for severe insomnia

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 8 Jun 2017 in Sleep Disorders
Question: I suffer from severe insomnia, I'm 77 years old and still work. Most nights I don't go to sleep before 2 am and then sleep at the most 3 hours. Once a week I might not go to sleep until 6 or 7 am. I've tried melanomin and Advil pm, etc nothing works. Last week I used my daughters klonopin 1/2 pill for three days and I finally got to sleep and stayed asleep. My doctor refuses to prescribe any Rx and I'm at my breaking point. What do you suggest? Please help
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Klonopil is having clonazepam. It is sedative drug.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Klonopil is having clonazepam. It is sedative drug. You are getting good sleep after taking clonazepam. So most probably you are having sleep disturbances due to psychological cause.
So better to consult psychiatrist and get done counselling sessions. Try to identify stressor in your life and start working on its solution.
Counselling sessions along with drugs like clonazepam is very useful in treating insomnia. So don't worry. Avoid stress and tension, be relax and calm.
Consult psychiatrist and discuss all these.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy