Suggest treatment for anxiety attacks

Posted on Sat, 6 Sep 2014 in Mental Health
Question: I suffer from anxiety and with the loss of my husband last week I am finding it impossible to venture out of the house. In the last I had taken klonopin to address these types of panic attacks but I am unable to get to the doctor. What can I do?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is grief reaction

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using healthcaremagic.

I understand your concern and difficulties following death of your husband. The anxiety and panic attack kind of things are natural response of our body following loss of loved ones. It is generally termed the grief reaction and may last from days to weeks.
Use of Klonopin in this situation is controversial and most of expert suggest avoiding any kind pf anxiolytics as it impairs the capacity to accept the loss. In case you are finding difficulty with sleep than on requirement basis you can take it but try to avoid klonopin or other kind of anxiolytics as far as possible.

I am writing down few of the strategies to reduce stress in this difficult time

1. Diet: Ensure intake of adequate quantity of fiber. 2 servings of vegetable salad and 2 servings of fruits( One preferable citrus fruit). proper diet does miracles and rejuvenates. Orange is good source of anti-oxidants. Avoid junk food.

2. Ensure adequate water intake: Follow rule of 1 which i usually advise. 1 glass of water 1 hour before and 1 glass of water 1 hour after every meals will ensure adequate consumption of water . Recommended intake of water is 2 to 3 liter a day.

3. Early morning Exercise: Brisk walking for 30 minutes at a stretch preferably in garden will be very helpful.
4. Avoid tea/coffee/ nicotine and alcoholic beverages:

5. Start your day with a glass of Lemon water with 2 spoons of honey added. have a good breakfast.

6 Spend time with your family and friends.

7. While working take frequent regular breaks:

8. Steam inhalation before going to sleep will be very refreshing:

9. Multivitamin and Calcium supplement

I hope this will help you to overcome stress in this difficult time.

"If you have any further questions I will be happy to help".
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist