Suggest treatment for anemia in an elderly person

Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: My Mom is 97 yrs. old, no dementia and in good health, except she has recently become anemic. I'm looking for an article that explains the benefits of B12 shots for older people. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cause of anemia should be searched.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question.
I can understand your concern.

She has anemia. It can be due to iron deficiency, vitamin B12 deficiency or some other causes like chronic disease.

So cause of anemia should be searched first. Because if there is vitamin B12 deficiency then but B12 shots can be definitely helpful. But if there is no deficiency then it has no role.

So go for peripheral smear examination and anemia profile. Then take treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any doubts then feel free to ask me. I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic.
Wish you a very good health.