Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for alopecia

Jan 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 7524 Questions
Hi ,

I came to know around 4 years back that some white patches on my chin and it was a problem of alopecia , but during that period i ignored that because i don't know about this problem , but later on, after 1 year, i noticed this kind of patches increasing on my skull also .

Then i started treatment for the same at Apollo Hospital XXXXXXX , Dr XXXXXXX Awasthi suggested me some steroids to take and some ointment to apply on the patch , i took the medicine for 2 months , but no improvement in patches , then i started taking injections to those patches , after injection patches recovered a little bit, but after taking long treatment with steroids + ointment + injection there is no 100 improvement.

In between these i took homeopathy medicine also , then finally i started my treatment with Mr XXXXXXX in XXXXXXX , he is Skin Specialist , after his treatment, my hair recovered 100% from those patches.

He stopped my treatment 2 years back after full recovery , but from last 3 months I noticed some minor patches coming again on my chin , Is this problem can't finish permanently or your suggestion are welcome on this .....

xxxxxxx xx XXXXXXX
Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload images

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr. kakkar (Dermatologist).
I have noted your concern.
perhaps you have alopecia areata.
I request you to kindly upload a few images so that I am able to guide you better.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for alopecia 32 minutes later
Hi ,

Thanks for your prompt response !

Images of Patches attached , please check
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Alopecia Areata - treatment options

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.
I have viewed the Images.
I can see coin sized, bald patches in beard region, in these Images. Yes, this condition is known as Alopecia Areata.
Focal alopecia areata may present as smooth, bald patches of hair loss most commonly on scalp but also on beard or eyebrows and eyelashes.
There may be a few remissions and recurrences (one or two or may be more) but ultimately focal type of alopecia areata has a good prognosis and finally resolves.
Intralesional injections (in site injections) of triamcinolone acetonide 10mg/ml is the treatment of choice for a few patches of alopecia areata. The injection may need to be repeated at 3 week intervals. You may once again try this treatment..
I won't suggest Oral steroids for a few patches of alopecia areata!!
Other treatment options include topical steroids (creams/ lotions/ointments), minoxidil solution application, topical dithranol application..
An alternative to intralesional steroid injections is topical dithranol (anthralin) ointment. However, it should be used under supervision as a SHORT CONTACT THERAPY (SCT) for just 10-15 minutes daily at night and then washed off. It is non-steroidal and effective for alopecia areata. It is a prescription product and I suggest that you talk to your local dermatologist for a prescription regarding the same. Moreover, since it can irritate the skin therefore it should be used under supervision of a doctor and only for 10-15 minutes (SCT) once daily, at night.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor