Suggest treatment for allegic bronchitis in a child

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hello Doctor

My son suffers from allergic rhinitis and is on SLIT therapy. He developed a cough in late May, which would come on during early mornings and late evenings but never during any other part of the day. His pulmonologist prescribed Deslor to be taken for about 30 days. This was working ok, until he developed a very persistent and incessant cough earlier this week. His pediatrician recommended that we give him Maxtra syrup and Montek 4 mg along with his current medication. Is this safe to be given along with Deslor? He developed breathlessness and chest pain today due to the congestion and had to undergo nebulization
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Arun 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes it is safe

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to HealthcareMagic.

From your description it is probably a exacerbation of allegic bronchitis.

Maxtra has chlorpheniramine and deslor is desloratadine. Both are anti-allergic. Secondly either one of them has to be taken at a time because they can cause sedation. If both are taken together, this effect may exaggerate. Thus there should be a gap of 12 hrs between the two.

The cough should settle soon.
Continue nebulisations as advised by your pulmonologist.

Let me know if I can assist you further. Wishing your son speedy recovery.
Dr Arun

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for allegic bronchitis in a child 31 minutes later
Thank you doctor. So is it safe to take Montek and Deslor together?

Answered by Dr. Arun 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes it is safe

Detailed Answer:
Yes it is safe to take montek (only plain monteleukast ) and deslor.
But if you are giving montek lc ( which has levocetrizine and monteleukast )then you should not give both.