Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

127 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for acute urinary retention while suffering from benign prostatic hyperplasia

Answered by
Dr. P. T. Patil


Practicing since :1971

Answered : 9838 Questions

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: hello I am 62 yrs old and have had to have a foley catheter installed to remedy a blocked urethra. along with starting on flowmax 1/day.
this occurred 7 days ago. I am in generally good health, work as a machinist 40 hrs per week, do exercise. have been on testosterone replacement for 15 yrs and do have an enlarged prostate and slightly elevated psa levels. have been on a watch process for this time.
I do drink coffee 4 to 6 times a day, enjoy 1-2 alcoholic drinks per day as well as daily use of marijuana (about 1/4 oz per month).
I am married (43 yrs) to a partially disabled woman, though we are not having any sex due to her discomfort, and have 3 adult children one of which has a genetic disability.
how do these lifestyle choices affect my prostate and what might be the best changes to take?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Provide few more details

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you had Acute Retention of Urine due to enlarged prostate 7 back and have been catheterized with indwelling Foley catheter to drain out urine from bladder.

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1)Is your Ultrasound Scanning of the abdomen done to assess the size of prostate ?
2) Do you have other urinary symptoms like frequency ,nocturia ,poor urine stream over a period of last few months ?
3) What your PSA levels done very recently?
4) Was your Digital Rectal Examination carried out by concerned Dr? and if so what are the findings ?

Looking at retention of urine that you had developed it s likely you have significantly large enlarged prostate gland which needs to be assessed and treated by an endoscopic surgery called Trans Urethral Resection of Prostate (TURP) to clear the obstructed urethral passage. This will help to improve your quality of life afterwards .

The Urologist on doing Digital Rectal Examination and PSA test will take the decision regarding the need for surgery .

I would state that it is not your life style choices that will affect your prostate but it is the enlarged prostate that will affect your life style choices .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 14 hours later
the doctor who prescribed the catheter did a rectal exam and noted the consistent enlargement with regular "nodules"? of the prostate.

it has been enlarged for the past 4-5 years.
I have had testicular hypofunction for the last 15 years.

I have been experiencing weaker flow, difficulty beginning urination sometime and generally awake after 3-5 hrs sleep to urinate.

most recent PSA from october 2016 is 7.95 ref 0-4
Testosterone bioavailable 77.3 ref 110-570
free testosterone 32.1 ref 46-224
testosterone total 309 ref 250-1100

so far no ultrasound or other to accurately assess the prostate size or shape
am scheduled to see a urologist today and would like to report back what I find

are there any changes regarding my consumption of things that may affect the prostates swelling or shrinkage?

post TURP ( if that is what occurs) will I have ability to normally urinate or have sex?
Thank you for the help
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do write after your visit to Urologist

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up ..
You have obstructive voiding symptoms since long time .In my opinon you will need to undergo endoscopic surgery of TIRP .

PSA levels are high and has to be repeated after two weeks of taking antibiotic to decide need for doing Prostate Biopsy to rule out cancer of prostate

There is no specific diet or activities that will reduce size of the prostate .

This will help you to have normal urine flow and will not affect your sexual potency .except there will be a retrograde ejaculation which is known complication of any surgery done to remove enlarged prostate .

Thanks and Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Urethra

doctor1 MD

I have clear fluid like water coming from my vagina-not urethra. I can not feel it happen and only notice when I stand up and see a wet spot on a chair or clothing. There is no odor, pain, itching, color...clear and the same consistency as water. This has happened once before when I did NOT have my period. I have endomitriosis and have had my menstrual cycle since 6/13...the past 4 days with fever, nausea, swollen gums and diarrhea-all normal for me during a bad endo phase. Probably unrelated, but I have a Primary Immune Disorder, CVID Ocular Sarcoidosis, Sjogren s, Asthma, and have had my right ovary and fallopian tube removed when a dermoid tumor grew very large and attached to both organs.

doctor1 MD

Well recently my urethra s become incredibly itchy, and sometimes i have a sudden urge to urinate not long after i drink something. I m 17 and am sexually active with my boyfriend who was my first and over the last 2 months i ve already been treated for Thrush and a Urinary Tract Infection. Last week Me and my boyfriend decided to use a Durex Tingle, and the next day my genitals were red, painful and had completely swollen up and i found it difficult to sit down. So i took those symptoms as being an allergy to the condom maybe, and eventhough those symptoms have gone I m now left with this Awful itch directly on my Urethra. The last 2 months have been hell and it just seems to be one thing after the other. Please Help.

doctor1 MD

I have sharp pain in my urethra, mostly after I pee but not always, sometimes not even days. I have been on meds for bladder infections for what isstarting 3 weeks but it doesnt seem to be helping. Also I have a dull pain in my midsection feels almost like a side stich you get after running without warming up, but its more toward the side front on my left side. I am 37 years old, 220 lbs and 5 .1

doctor1 MD

I had unprotected oral sex with a girl I met at a party 5 days ago. She performed fellatio on me. The very next day I had a slight burning sensation at the tip of my penis. This got much worse the next day and so I sought out a doctor who suggested it was likely a fungal infection of the urethra caused by an infection in the girls mouth. I am booked to have an STD check after two weeks have elapsed just to check if it s something like chlamydia or gonorrhea. The burning sensation is nearly gone after two days of anti fungal medication and I have had no burning while peeling or discharge and my urine is clear. Does the diagnosis sound correct to you? Thanks

doctor1 MD

Ok, I asked about this yesterday in the main forum. After thinking about it and being a little more clear headed, I decided to put it here in the "ask a specialist." Most of my question yesterday went unanswered. What was answered was very short...

doctor1 MD

Hello Dr I have diabetes and cholesterol Gerd and ibs Urethal stenosis. I pass slow urine or sometimes it gets blocked. Sometimes it is normal. Dr has advise me to do cystscopy but I have heard after doing cystscopy and widening the urethra pipe...

doctor1 MD

I have a bladder that is not functioning and have been self cathing for almost 7 weeks. The problem is not with the actual cathertization but after I finish...and not always immediately...I seem to have what I would term an ache or almost like a...