Suggest treatment for acute bronchitis when diagnosed with Azithromycin

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have just been diagnosed with acute bronchitis. and was prescribed azithromycin, 250 mg taken for 5 days plus an inhaler and cough capsules. How contagious am I???
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you are contagious for 1-2 weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Most common cause for acute bronchitis is infection with respiratory virus like influenza.
And spread of infection is via droplet infection.
So when you sneeze or cough or laugh, virus containing droplets come in the environment and infect others.
So you are infectious for 1-2 weeks.
So better to wear face mask during sneezing, coughing, laughing etc.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj