Suggest treatment for acne

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 6 Oct 2016 in General Health
Question: History of Previous Communication:

I am having some skin allergy since last 3-4 days now. I earlier thought it to be some cut so was applying to right side - betadine. But this has spread to a larger area now. I am practicing healthy shaving procedure. Please let me know what cream should I apply, will Momate help here. I am attaching the pictures for your reference.

Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I have reviewed the attached photographs and this seems to be acne.
It is usually caused by hormonal changes in the body.
Don't use momate or Betnovate cream on these bumps. These are steroidal preparations and will increase the eruption.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to apply benzoyl peroxide 2.5 percent gel on these bumps twice daily for 10-14 days.
These will resolve.
Dr Asmeet

Doctor I have applied that gel twice a day without fail since 26th August. Its been more than 3 weeks now and the issue is still there but very less. The neck one is gone now its near the chin area now. Please see the picture with the highlighted section. The main one still oozes some fluid after shaving. Should I continue with that Gel.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Continue with benzoyl peroxide gel, start doxycycline

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have reviewed the newly uploaded picture and it is acne.
Acne is a chronic disease which takes time to settle.
You need to continue with the benzoyl peroxide 2.5 percent gel twice daily on the affected areas.
Along with it take capsule doxycycline 100 mg once daily at bedtime.
It will help in faster resolution of the lesions.
Besides this keep your face dry, avoid oiling of scalp, avoid oily creams on face and reduce the intake of sugary foods.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng