question-icon

Suggest treatment for accidental ingestion of Vicks vapor

default
Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016
Question: I accidentally swallowed some Vicks vapor steam for a hot most vaporizer. I was half asleep and it was dark in the room. I'm very congested in my sinuses so I could not smell it. I called poison control and they said to drink something and take a hot shower. Any other advice cause I'm very concerned.
doctor
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee (20 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
you need to Visit your nearest ER at the earliest....

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX , Welcome to HCM,

Now even though you've been seen by poison control personnel , but still to be on the safer side you need to visit your nearest ER at the earliest..

Time is the key , the faster the better ..

Please don't try to drive by yourself and get a second person's help..

I believe that the content of steam was not much, but still you need to be checked since the active ingredient is Camphor, which if not dealt with prompt measures, can manifest several neuro-toxicity as well as hepato-toxicity..

Please DO NOT try to vomit..

Take deep breaths in fresh air , rinse your face and mouth and eyes in XXXXXXX warm water (even though you've taken a hot shower)..

Try to remain alert and calm, please don't panic..

Chances are you'll need a few hours of observation at the ER before getting discharged..

Please keep me updated how it went..

Wishing your speedy recovery..

Kind Regards..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 1323 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Suggest treatment for accidental ingestion of Vicks vapor

Brief Answer: you need to Visit your nearest ER at the earliest.... Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX , Welcome to HCM, Now even though you've been seen by poison control personnel , but still to be on the safer side you need to visit your nearest ER at the earliest.. Time is the key , the faster the better .. Please don't try to drive by yourself and get a second person's help.. I believe that the content of steam was not much, but still you need to be checked since the active ingredient is Camphor, which if not dealt with prompt measures, can manifest several neuro-toxicity as well as hepato-toxicity.. Please DO NOT try to vomit.. Take deep breaths in fresh air , rinse your face and mouth and eyes in XXXXXXX warm water (even though you've taken a hot shower).. Try to remain alert and calm, please don't panic.. Chances are you'll need a few hours of observation at the ER before getting discharged.. Please keep me updated how it went.. Wishing your speedy recovery.. Kind Regards..