• question-icon

Suggest treatment for abdominal pain in a child

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Child Health
Question: My 3.5 years daughter (Weight 14 kg) have a stomach pain and liquid type latrine. She has gone 6 times from 2pm till now. I gave her metrogyl syp for one times and one dose of bifilac. Please suggest me how should treated her.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like viral diarrhoea - don't worry - stop antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

It seems your kid is having viral diarrhoea. Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better.

Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

There is no need to use antibiotics (LIKE METROGYL) unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic associated diarrhoea.

I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment. If there is vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron (as prescribed by your paediatrician).

Regarding diet - Avoid fruit juices as they might aggravate diarrhea. You can give zinc supplements & ORS apart from normal vegetarian porridges & soups.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology