Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
185 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for a sebaceous cyst in the back

Answered by
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 13223 Questions

Posted on Fri, 27 Oct 2017 in Lump
Question: I am a 41 year old woman. I have had a small lump/bump on my right shin for almost two years now. It is about a centimeter wide. It is under the skin, but I can't tell if it is on top of the bone or in the bone. It is painless. When I first noticed it about two years ago I originally thought it was just where a vein popped up over my bone. It hasn't grown in diameter I don't think but seems to stick up more off of my leg in the past few months to where it is more noticeable from every angle where before it wasnt. I googled and the first thing to come up was soft tissue sarcoma, but I have had it for at least a couple of years with very little change. It does not feel like a sebaceous cyst that I have on my back. Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, don't worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
I've reviewed the image,

No, this doesn't seem to be soft tissue sarcoma or any other malignant tumor, especially if this lasts for so long. There are also no signs of malignancy on the photo. This was probably a popped vein and subcutaneous hematoma formation after this and then hematoma became fibroma.

This is a normal sequence and more or less visible bump may persist after it. Sebaceous glands it lipoma is also possible but rarely seen on this place.

Bone growth would be hard and deeper. So I don't think that any treatment is required.

If you want to ease your mind you can do an ultrasound with a fine needle biopsy or it can be removed under local anesthesia but I don't think this is also necessary.

Feel free to ask further.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Local anesthesia

doctor1 MD

I have had pain in my index finger for a month and trouble straightening and bending my finger. There are times that my finger remains in a curled...

doctor1 MD

I m 58 and had what could be my 1st possible UTI. Well now I m scheduled for a cystoscopy . I ve read the flexible ones are no wider than a pencil...

doctor1 MD

Hi .i have very little skin attached to my pennis and i feel pain while having sex, while sexual inter coarse . it also got torn earlier while...

doctor1 MD

my wife has fungal infection in both ears. removing the same is causing terrible pain. could you pls suggest whether the fungal infection can be...

doctor1 MD

My doctor wants to do a skin graft on a wound on the calf of my leg. It is about the size of a quarter. I have a pacemaker for a slow heart rate....

doctor1 MD

My son went to the dentist yesterday to get a cavity filled. They gave a local Anesthesia in his mouth. when he got out the dentist , his started...