Suggest treatment for a sebaceous cyst in the back

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 27 Oct 2017 in Lump
Question: I am a 41 year old woman. I have had a small lump/bump on my right shin for almost two years now. It is about a centimeter wide. It is under the skin, but I can't tell if it is on top of the bone or in the bone. It is painless. When I first noticed it about two years ago I originally thought it was just where a vein popped up over my bone. It hasn't grown in diameter I don't think but seems to stick up more off of my leg in the past few months to where it is more noticeable from every angle where before it wasnt. I googled and the first thing to come up was soft tissue sarcoma, but I have had it for at least a couple of years with very little change. It does not feel like a sebaceous cyst that I have on my back. Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, don't worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
I've reviewed the image,

No, this doesn't seem to be soft tissue sarcoma or any other malignant tumor, especially if this lasts for so long. There are also no signs of malignancy on the photo. This was probably a popped vein and subcutaneous hematoma formation after this and then hematoma became fibroma.

This is a normal sequence and more or less visible bump may persist after it. Sebaceous glands it lipoma is also possible but rarely seen on this place.

Bone growth would be hard and deeper. So I don't think that any treatment is required.

If you want to ease your mind you can do an ultrasound with a fine needle biopsy or it can be removed under local anesthesia but I don't think this is also necessary.

Feel free to ask further.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee