Suggest treatment for a movable lump in the breast

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: I am 65 years old and I have discovered a movable lump on the top of the inside of my breast. It is right behind my nipple. My nipple is retracting a little. Is it most likely cancer? Is there a possibility it is something else?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It might be a cancer indeed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Lump which is retracting nipple is usually malignant. Benign tumor does not do this.
From the other side, cancer is usually not movable (in advanced stage). So either this is a benign lesion or the cancer is not advanced.
But this is just guessing. Being hones, nobody is able to answer this question as every lump is different. All we know is that breast cancer is the most common cancer among woman and in early stage is completely curable.
It might be a cancer. But it also can be a cyst, fibroma or even an inflammation.

I suggest you to consult your doctor as soon as possible. Breast ultrasound should be done.

Hope this helps.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
But is there "any"other type of lump besides cancer that would cause my nipple to do this.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not really.

Detailed Answer:
Well, there is no other type of lump which literally retracts the nipple. Benign lesions do not do that. Benign tumor usually can push the nipple outside.