Suggest treatment for a diaper rash

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Child Health
Question: my one month old have diaper rash, though trying to put her on cloth nappy as much as possible ( we r eending up using almost 30-35 nappies a day cos she pees and smudges d nappies) , i would want to put disposable diapers for her atleast at night as its winter.

using destitine maximum strenght nappy rash cream liberally over the affected areas, and then spraying and dabbing her poop away when needed

as the poop smudging happens almost all the time she is awake ( like everytime she cries lil poop comes out)
1. does smudging alson has to be washed off everytime asap or can i wait for half n hour and wash once...considering normally she smudges more than five six times in half n hour.
2. if using diaper, what are the precautions i should use....i intend to put the cream and change her diaper every two hours if needed

thankyou
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seek a balance between too much and too little

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Let me tell you that it is not the minor smudgings of poop that concerns us, it is the moisture trapped in continuous exposure to poop or the wetness of nappies that concerns us. This is because prolonged exposure would cause the skin to excoriate and develop erosions. I do not suppose that there is slightest justification of using 30-35 nappies a day. You can let the nappy be there for 15 mins to half an hour if needed. While you do not need to wipe off smudgings as soon as it occurs, you would have to find a balance between too much and too little.

No specific suggestions about precautions while using diapers. Just ensure that the skin does not get prolonged exposure to moisture. This does not mean that the diaper needs to be changed every 2 hours.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 33 minutes later
thabkyou for the prompt answer sir...though she is in probiotics , her poop( as lil as a 4-5drops) almsot continously when she is awake n crying or farting, hasnt stopped..attaching doctors prescription sir
1. her pee count is more than 15 times a day
2. color of poop smudge is mustar yellow n sometime seedy
3. she is annactive baby n askz for breast feed every two hours.

is her increased pee and poop Lao cos she has already caught a cold? sounds like mucous in her nose also
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a cause for concern.

Detailed Answer:
I do not suppose that you need to give probiotics.

Let me emphasize on the fact that breast milk is the best possible milk for a baby and there can be no alternatives for the same. Most formula milks are cow milk based and hence difficult to digest. Moreover they make the child more prone to complications and infections. Mother's breast milk is produced on the demand of the baby. Hungrier the baby, more vigorous is the suck. More is the suck, more is the amount of breast milk produced. Giving formula automatically reduces the demand of the baby and thereby the production of breast milk. All you need to do is to switch back to exclusive breast feeding and the production will increase automatically. All you need to do is to monitor the urine output. If the frequency is more than 6 times in 24 hours, you would know that the amount of feeding is adequate. If the amount of passage of urine is less or if the child is lethargic you would need to take the child to a doctor without delay.

It is a good thing that the pee count is high.
The color of poop does not matter. If on breast feeds, there is nothing to worry.
Active baby demanding feed every two hours is a good sign.
These do not raise concern of cough and cold. If mucus seems to be present in nose, apply nasoclear saline nasal drops in each nostril as per need.