Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for Vit D deficiency

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 180 Questions
my vitamin D13 level is know as 7, can you suggest me on this what to do next, or which medicine to take to increase the level
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin D Deficiency

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the query.

I consider 7 as 7ng/ml of vitamin D. This is considered to be deficient levels of vitamin D. The normal level ranges from 20ng/ml to 50ng/ml and any level below 12ng/ml is considered to be Vitamin D deficiency.

The treatment here would be to get more vitamin D through diet and supplements to keep the range above 20ng/ml along with this we need to rule out the cause for the low vitamin D levels.

The usual reasons for low vitamin D levels would be lack of intake of vitamin D being in case of strict vegetarians, limited exposure to sunlight, any kidney problems or digestive problems. Please let me know if there are any reasons and you have any symptoms like body aches and muscular pains.

You can follow these instructions:
1. Increase the intake of fish and fish oils, egg yolks, beef liver in case of non vegetarian and cheese, fortified milk and milk products if you are a vegetarian.

2. Increase exposure to the sunlight: An every day early morning walk around 6 to 8 AM would be helpful in increasing the exposure to sunlight along with a good physical exercise.

3. Vitamin D sachets(D Rise sachets) 60000 IU weekly once for 4 to 6 weeks.

4. Take Calcimax 500mg once a day after food for 30 days

5. Recheck Vitamin D levels after 3 months.

6. Consult an Orthopedician in case the levels doesn't improve.

Hope this answers your query. If any further question, will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor