Suggest treatment for Vit D deficiency

Question
my vitamin D13 level is know as 7, can you suggest me on this what to do next, or which medicine to take to increase the level
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin D Deficiency

Detailed Answer:

I consider 7 as 7ng/ml of vitamin D. This is considered to be deficient levels of vitamin D. The normal level ranges from 20ng/ml to 50ng/ml and any level below 12ng/ml is considered to be Vitamin D deficiency.

The treatment here would be to get more vitamin D through diet and supplements to keep the range above 20ng/ml along with this we need to rule out the cause for the low vitamin D levels.

The usual reasons for low vitamin D levels would be lack of intake of vitamin D being in case of strict vegetarians, limited exposure to sunlight, any kidney problems or digestive problems. Please let me know if there are any reasons and you have any symptoms like body aches and muscular pains.

You can follow these instructions:
1. Increase the intake of fish and fish oils, egg yolks, beef liver in case of non vegetarian and cheese, fortified milk and milk products if you are a vegetarian.

2. Increase exposure to the sunlight: An every day early morning walk around 6 to 8 AM would be helpful in increasing the exposure to sunlight along with a good physical exercise.

3. Vitamin D sachets(D Rise sachets) 60000 IU weekly once for 4 to 6 weeks.

4. Take Calcimax 500mg once a day after food for 30 days

5. Recheck Vitamin D levels after 3 months.

6. Consult an Orthopedician in case the levels doesn't improve.

Hope this answers your query. If any further question, will be happy to help.

Regards.