Suggest treatment for UTI caused by streptococcus mitis

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Tue, 3 Jun 2014 in Infections
Question: Strep. mitis/oralis in urine culture. resistant to at least 4 common antibiotics (amp., Cefotaxime, Ceftriaxone, pen g) . What are possible effects and other antibiotics that don't cost a fortune?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
rely on sensitivity test...

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that Streptococcus mitis is an unusual pathogen to cause UTI , So in this case you will have to rely on the culture sensitivity report for further treatment of the infection. Amoxicillin-clavulanic acid, gentamicin, and vancomycin are few cheap antibiotics that are know to be sensitive in most cases. You should look into the antibiotic sensitivity report to find for suitable alternatives.

Take plenty of water and cranberry juice , it will help in resolving the infection early .

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad