Suggest treatment for CTE symptoms

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I had an MRI on my head and the Dr said there was to much white foci to count. I have had in excess of 34 concussions. His final analysis was he felt I was a candidate for CTE. This was the doctor reading my MRI not my Neurologist. He told me I had partial complex seizures. I have passed out 4 times in the last year. For the last 2 years I have been slowly loosing focus and forgetting things. I am a 49 year old male that has broken most of my body playing sports and was in the military. The only reason I got a copy of my records is because I asked for a copy otherwise I never would have known what the other DR reading my MRI said. What is your independent take on this. "to much white foci to count"
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
CTE is the closest possibility.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

I have gone through your comprehensive clinical history and even I agree to the fact,that the most likely cause of your symptoms appears to be chronic traumatic encephalopathy(CTE).This is a very strong possibility,in view of repeated history of concussions,symptoms and MRI findings which are typical for CTE. CTE commonly cause diffuse brain hyperintensities,which appear as white foci.

If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 24 hours later
So I have been slowly creeping up on and have come to an end for the XXXXXXX dosage for Topamax and Levetiracetam (still on them) and was introduced to Divalproex 500MG twice a day and Divalproex SOD ER 250MG. I guess my questions are with CTE can it be stopped or slowed down or nothing can be done. Is this a bacteria similar to MS?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is a progressive degenerative disease.Its not a bacteria.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Answers to your queries are-
1)It is by nature,a degenerative and chronic progressive disease.Nothing specific for treatment.Only supportive measures.
2)It is not a bacterial disease.It is neurodegenerative in etiology.

If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to answer.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 7 hours later
Would another MRI be worth the time and if so from it can you tell if it is getting worse from the new MRI. My last follow up question is are brain scans worth any time for me I have had four that have revealed nothing.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Frequent MRI's are not needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Frequent MRI's are not needed in CTE.They will not serve a purpose.MRI may be repeated after a few years to see the change.
However,please discuss your neurologist to evaluate for other causes of small hyperintense brain lesions as CTE is still a likely diagnosis and not confirmed.There is no way CTE can be confirmed without a brain biopsy.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad