Suggest medication for diarrhea due to side-effects from Levetiracetam

Posted on Thu, 5 Oct 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I take a total of 3000 mg of Leviteracitam daily and want to know what I can do about the diaharia side effect? I tried Acidophilus to no avail.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tell me some details.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Jxxxxxr,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

I would like to know some details-
1)Since when are you having diarrhea?
2)Are you passing blood or mucus per stool?
3)Is it that your diarrhea started only after you started taking Levetiracetam?

I shall be glad to have you in follow-up with these details so that I can answer your query well.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 6 hours later
#3 Only after Leviteracitam/Keppra. Especially after the first meal of the day. Acidopholus seems to make it worse.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acidophilus can be avoided then.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Levetiracetam can be rarely associated with diarrhea and if extremely troublesome, alternative antiepileptic drug may be used.However, in your case as you mentioned acidophilus makes it worse, I'd suggest to avoid the same.If problem persists and it is strongly suspected to be due to Keppra only, then discuss with your neurologist to switch the drug.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 5 hours later
This has also been suggested by my neurologist but the drug works perfectly for eliminating the seizures, and switching drugs could be a disaster. I simply wish to "eliminate" the side effect.
Thanks for trying.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wish u a good health

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Of course, you are absolutely right in saying that switching of drugs should not be done just like that.However, you may try by stopping acidophilus.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up else please close the thread, rate it and write a review.Wish you a good health.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist