Can Keppra cause seizures instead of controlling it?

Posted on Wed, 4 Oct 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I was recently diagnosed with seizures (no convulsions) and give keppra 500mg 2x daily. Dr lower to 1x daily at night yesterday because I can't function on meducation. Episodes are occurring on a good 2x week and last a minimum of 24 hours. I started pills on 8/24 at night. Next day took one in a.m one in p.m then one the following day and stopped because I couldn't move, think etc an it makes me feel worse than an episode. Yesterday I felt great... took pill before going to bed and within 30 minstrel started getting all symptoms of my episodes that I go through. It is now 13 hours later and still going through episode. Can this pill trigger what it is supposed to subside? Feeling very frustrated. Any advice is greatly appreciated as I am not sold on the fact that I'm having seizures
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get examined and investigated by a neurologist

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
The diagnosis of seizure is clinical supported by investigations like brain imaging and eeg.
Sometimes, no investigation shows seizures but clinical presentation is sufficient to start treatment.
There are multiple options of antiepileptic medications.
The choice can be made based on effect and side effect profile.
Levetiracetam is associated with behavioral abnormalities, decreased sleep and concentration.
Valproate can be tried in optimal doses.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist