Suggest treatment for ADHD, anxiety and low self-confidence

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Mental Health
Question: I am 36 year old male, I am suffering from ADHD. I have struggled since chilhood, but now it's becoming unmanageable at work.

I am not able to concentrate on any task. I always had challenge in focusing on subjects, but was able to deliver a basic level of result that kept me afloat (not excel).
Lately in my job i am struggling to clear even the basic level of work on my plate. In last 1 decade I have changed 4 jobs and have struggled in each of the job.
I was sacked from my last job , even in the current job I am struggling to finish stuff. capability has never been a challenge .. I struggle to sit for a session that would be
bare minimal to finish a portion of work. I procrastinate a lot and struggle to start a work. Suffer from anxiety, fear and low self confidence.

Please suggest the medication that is safe and is not addictive in nature.
I have already tried everything other than medication i.e. Consumption of Fish Oil, Exercise, Meditation, Optimal Sleep.

Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
atomoxetine, clonidine

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.
I can understand your concerns.

The medication for ADHD which is not addictive is ATOMOXETINE(prescription drug), unlike other medicines like amphetamines which are addictive.

It takes 2-4 weeks to show its effects.
The common adverse effects are nausea, decreased appetite, dry mouth and insomnia (that is why it is taken in daytime).

Other than this, clonidine (Prescription drug) is also used for ADHD. Although not the first line agent, but is quite useful in ADHD.
This is also nonaddictive.

Kindly discuss this with your doctor.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to ask further.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj