Suggest the ideal dosage for folic acid supplements taken for pregnancy

Posted on Mon, 25 Apr 2016 in Women's Health
Question: I am taking metformin 500mg 2 tablets before meals, 3 times a day, 4 tablets 100mg each daily, sitagliptin 100mg per day, livolin capsule 2 times a day.

I just got martied and i want to try to get pregnant, can i take folic acid, if i can, when and how much should i take?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Start folic acid and shift to insulin

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
I'm happy to see your vigilance and will to gather maximum knowledge before planning pregnancy.
Being a diabetic you have to take a lot of precautions before planning pregnancy.
Start folic acid tablets daily as diabetic females are deficient in folic acid many a times and then get your HbA1c levels checked to see the glycemic control so far.
Also you need to stop all drugs except metformin and shift on insulin and titrate the dose properly and once syablized start planning for pregnancy.
Visit an endocrinologist and plan properly.
All the best.
Dr Manisha
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 20 hours later
Should i see my dr, who gave me the medication n tell him that i want to try and get pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Visit your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Yes definitely Mam, you will have to shift to insulin before planning for pregnancy as except metfomin no diabetic oral medicine is safe in pregnancy.
It is always advisable to enter pregnancy in good glycemic control and on insulin so visit your doctor and plan accordingly.
All the best
Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN