Suggest treatment for severe dry cough and cold in a child

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi,
My daughter got cold and cough in mid XXXXXXX 2016 and the cold episode was over by end of XXXXXXX From then on she has dry cough and the doctor did the mantaux test and she has the reading of 12 mm at 72 hours. The doctor said everything is fine and said she has allergy and prescribed Monatir LC. She is 21 months old. She is fine for few days and then get the cough at around 23rd hour of montair or the time is due for that days dose. Some days she will be completely alright. We visited the doctor few times and she said it is mild allergy and asked us to continue montair for 6 months and nebulization livolin .63 mg whenever she coughs. Is this alright? Are we in the right direction? Is it safe to take montair that long? She s just 21 months old so should I consult a pulmonologist or allergy specialist?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:

Montair LC negativates our immune response. Normal immune response is needed to expel allergens out of the body. Long term use (6 months) is not advisable.

Dry cough with no sputum or gurgling sound indicates allergic cough. Most of times such coughs are seasonal and are limited to that period of time needing no serious intervention.

I recommend a visit to ENT specialist and a pulmonologist too, rather than observe the child for such a long period.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Please do ask if any doubts.
If you are satisfied with the answer, please rate the same with five stars and close.

If in future you need to consult me, you can approach me directly through the below link.

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-raju-a-t/60137

Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later
Thank you for the detailed explanation.
I need not worry about mantaux test. Correct?
A general question, how much of nebulization is fine in a day means once the doctor suggested 12 times a day and we were really worried. At one point, the doctor said it is post nasal drip and allergy. After few days, it is allergic cough.

Whenever she coughs badly, it feels like she has mild gurgling sound when she breaths and it automatically fades off after few hours. Is this all fine?

With all this said, I will consult a ENT and a pulmonologist as well. Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergic cough

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Need not worry about Mantaux test. If its cough due to Tuberculosis, your child should be presenting with numerous other symptoms including fever and weight loss.

!2 times nebulization is too much. Even in serious asthamatic, nebulization is advised when ever in need or for maximum 6 times a day.

Allergic cough do produce a bit of mucus. That could be the reason for gurgling which gets cleared easily.

Do consult the specialists.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Please do ask if any doubts.