Suggest tests to rule out syphilis

Posted on Thu, 7 Sep 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hello, I took a std test. It came back positive for preliminary then came back negative this was for syphilis. What does this mean?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Negative specific test ruled out Syphilis

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HealthcareMagic.
There are various tests available to test for Syphilis. Reagin nonspecific tests and teponemal specific tests.
I would like to know the name of the test you had undergone before I comment on this.
Dr S Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 10 minutes later
It was the RPR test that was preliminary positive
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of biological false positive, unlikely be due to Syphilis

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
RPR test positive and specific test negative means it is a case of biological false positive.
That is nonspecific test may show reactive in conditions other than Syphilis also.
Consult your doctor and rule out the possible causes for false positive result.
Dr S Murugan

Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 4 minutes later
This was a lab that did my test. Lab Corp. My doctor doesn't receive the results. Would I have to ask my Doctor to re test? Would this be any relation Lupus my grandmother had it.If I had a UTI and was on antibiotics when I took the test would that have interfered?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lupus erythematosis can cause biological false positive result

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
False positive test for Syphilis can occur with variety of conditions ranging from high fever, vaccination procedures, leprosy and auto immune disorders.
Lupus erythematosis is also one of the autoimmune disorder that can cause BFP.
Consult your physician and get diagnosed.
Dr S Murugan
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist