Suggest tests to investigate twitching type pain in abdomen on left side

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Dear Doc

I had left sided abominal pain-twitching in nature- for the past 5 days? What are the tests and investigations you would recommend?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ultrasound of the whole abdomen

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

This twitching could be due to small muscle cramps. It actually does not require investigations if it has subsided by now.

None the less, you can undergo an ultrasound of the whole abdomen to rule out any underlying organic causes.

At your age, you can also get a serum calcium and vitamin D levels tested.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Shanthi.E 52 minutes later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

Why do I need a serum calcium and Vitamin D test?

If the twitching is persistent, would it be necessary for me to do a CT scan or MRI of the abdomen or pelvis?

What are the advantages or disadvantages of additional tests?

Thanks.
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
to check for menopausal osteoporosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

In the first place, I do not suggest investigations to my patients unnecessarily.

You need to do the serum calcium and Vitamin D tests to know if there is osteoporosis or bone depletion. This occurs as we age, that is after 40 years. Also, at 50 years now, I assume you have reached menopause. Hence, post menopausal Osteoporosis needs to be ruled out as well. This is the reason to check both these levels.

For just a problem of twitching, I would not suggest CT scan or MRI. To help you better, I would like to know the details of this twitching.

Where is the exact location of this twitching?
Do you feel it in the superficial muscles of the abdomen or deep within the abdomen in the intestines?
What are the other associated symptoms with the same?
Could you please elaborate how this twitching is, in detail?
Do you have other abdominal symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, loose stools, crampy abdominal pain etc?
Is this twitching related to your menstrual cycle, if you have not attained menopause yet?

Twitching is the word usually used in case of muscle problems. Do you mean to say this is something other than twitching or any other term that would explain your symptom better?

Definitely, there is no advantage of additional tests at this point. Please elaborate on your concern to help you better.

Follow up: Dr. Shanthi.E 7 minutes later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

- Left side of the abdomen above the pelvis, below the diaphragm.
-not sure
-What are the other associated symptoms with the same?
-nil
-A bit pulling, dull, feels better when I put pressure on it.
-No
-Not related. not menopause yet.

-Not sure

Thanks.
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
get an ultrasound of the whole abdomen initially

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thank you for the additional details given. Going by this, I think of probability of a hernia or just a muscle twitch.

One other possibility is non-specific colitis.

As a initial investigation, you can get ultrasound of the whole abdomen to look for the possibility.

If need be, then a CT or MRI of the abdomen or pelvis can be ordered.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Shanthi.E