Suggest remedy to regularise menstrual cycle

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Women's Health
Question: i am a virgin and I have two periods a month. Other than birth control what can help regulate periods. I am overweight as well. My cousin took birth control and had a blood clot. I am petrified of birth control.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can use triphasic pills or progesterone only for 10 days.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The best way to regularize your periods is to use a birth control pill. Since you are overweight you can use triphasic pills that have a lower dose of estrogen and thus lesser chances of having a blood clot. Other then that you can take progesterone only for last 10 days of your cycle every month. It will help in delaying your next period by a few days and will also have lesser chances of DVT.
Otherwise you can opt for cenchroman that causes delayed periods with a minimal bleeding. Do discuss all these options with your gynecologist and choose an option best for you.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later
do progrstrone bills cause clots? is metformin an option?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Metformin will not help.

Detailed Answer:
Metformin alone will not help to regulate the periods. Progesterone alone is rarely associated with increased chances of DVT.
Regards.