Suggest remedy for whooshing sound in ear

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I sometimes have a sound in my ears like a whooshing sound. like the wind or running water, or some such. what could this be
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Tinnitus, needs management

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Whooshing sound is likely a tinnitus and is likely attributed to multiple medications you have been on. It is bothersome for sure but not serious. All wee gotta do is find the underlying cause and treat it. There is a long list of possible causes from age related, local ear related, systemic causes and medications related. All needs to be evaluated and worked up for by an otorhinolaryngologist you have to pay a visit to. They will run some tests and assess the ear for different possibilities and then treat it accordingly.

Noise suppression like mask devices, hearing aids, tinnitus retraining device etc , use of some antidepressants like amitriptyline or xanax etc will help. GIngko biloba, zinc and vitamin b supplements also help.

Talk to your otorhinolaryngologist and let them decide what is best for you. I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan