Suggest remedy for stinking scalp

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have problem with my scalp. My scalp stinks if don't take head bath everyday. Mild unpleasant odor starts after 24 hour of head bath and it increases if I don't take head bath next day. I ended up taking head daily and my hair became dull and brown. But there is no hail fall. I am taking head bath daily from last seven years.

I travel on bike with helmet for 20 km daily. But problem persists before I started travelling for job daily.

I have visited a skin specialist once, and he told it is due to infection on scalp. I took medicine for that but not use. Not sure what to do now. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Provide more information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query.

I would like to gather some more information from you in order to be able to help you better.

-Do you suffer from Dandruff/Scaling OR Seborrheic Dermatitis?
-Do you use Hair Oil regularly?
-Do you have any painful bumps/folliculitis on the scalp?

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 12 minutes later
> Yes, I have dandruff. No flaking/scaling but its like powder/granules when I scratch my scalp.
-Do you use Hair Oil regularly?
> I don't use any hair oil
> I feel the bumps if I don't take proper head bath dialy.

I have tired ketoconazole based shampoo also as suggested by physician. But problem persists.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Overnight leave-on preparation

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

The root cause of your problem is oily scalp and dandruff.

Shampoos are sometimes not solely effective for dandruff/seborrheic dermatitis, specially since the contact time of a shampoo is short and moreover people don't keep it over the scalp for required time before rinsing it off.

I would suggest you to use an overnight leave-on preparation for your dandruff/seborrheic dermatitis e.g Oxiconazole lotion (Zoderm-e lotion) or Piroctone olamine+ciclopirox (Noskurf lotion). Massage it thoroughly into the scalp twice weekly(wednesday and saturday) and leave it overnight to act, then wash next day with a gentle cleansing shampoo.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
- Should I stop taking head bath daily if I start using the any one of lotions suggested by you?
- Do I need to continue anti dandruff shampoo along with the over night lotions?
- Do you suggest any shampoo apart from lotion and how frequently do you advice the shampoo usage?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seborrheic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi

-Can take head bath on alternate days with a gentle cleansing shampoo e.g dove shampoo OR can even use it daily.
-You can stop using the antidandruff shampoo while you are using an overnight antidandruff lotion.
-Use one of the overnight lotions, twice weekly (wednesday and saturday) and next day wash with a gentle cleansing shampoo e.g Dove.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
And one last question.
How long I need to use the lotion? Once I stop using the lotion will the problem come back?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seborrheic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

After using it twice weekly for 4-6 weeks, I would suggest that you use it once weekly for maintenance of improvement rather than stopping it completely, because seborrheic dermatitis is a recurrent condition.