Suggest remedy for stinging eyes, abdomen pain and fever

Dr. Eric Goldstein

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: 5 year old girls, started to complain about eyes stinging, and swollen pins and needle sensation down arm, side of abdomen hurts….today seems a little better, maybe a low grade fever. Thought maybe an insect bite,
we live in Idaho, lots of spiders in and around house.
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eyes Stinging

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question.
Generally, in pediatrics, we can attribute these type of things to harmless viral illnesses. Little improvement each day, which seems to be happening here, makes this more likely. If it continues to improve and then go away completely, there is no reason to be concerned.
In this case, your concern about a spider bite is reasonable to consider. Sometimes you can find evidence of a bite somewhere on the body (a bite mark), but not always. Still, as long as there is daily improvement, there is no worry. The inky concern would be to do what is necessary to prevent future bites.
If the symptoms begin to worsen, it's probably still a harmless viral illness. However, in this case, I recommend consulting with your doctor.