Suggest remedy for sore throat, cough and headache

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 24 Feb 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: 2-3 weeks of extremely sore throat, high pitched cough, continual headache. first dr looked at throat and said it was acid reflux and prescribed omeprazole (sp?) no over counter cough syrups (3 brands) would stop cough. not smoker. after 6 days of med, i am no better and am physically exhausted. called gastroenterologist office who did my colonscopy 2 yrs ago, but she could not get me in asap, and she said she does not believe my symptons are gerd/gastric related and i should have had my throat swabbed. what is up with this? are people staying sick this long with gerd?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
VL'Scopy, continue anti-reflux meds and add medications as detailed.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The best way out is to get a VideoLaryngoScopy (VL'Scopy) done. This examination will help locate the signs if this is a laryngitis, reflux or a post nasal drip.

2. Acid relux medications do require several weeks to work. The recommended course is 8 to 12 weeks. A bland diet and lifestyle changes will also be required in addition to the medication.

3. Meanwhile get a prescription for an anti-allergic mucolytic and a cough suppressant. check if the OTC cough syrups you were having were expectorants. Expectorants will worsen your cough.

4. These investigations should be done before any throat swab , chest X-ray or blood tests.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 minutes later
Thank you very much and I should have added that I have pretty much lost my voice. Very hoarse and raspy and when I do try to talk, I will pay by a long series of high pitch coughs! Is that laryngitis or 'pharyngitis'? Thanks again and that will be all. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Laryngitis / laryngeal pathology. VL'Scopy / Stroboscopy.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1.If you have lost your voice, it is a laryngitis or a laryngeal pathology.

2. This makes it imperative to do a VL'Scopy or a Stroboscopy if possible.

Regards.