Suggest remedy for shoulder pain

Posted on Mon, 3 Nov 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have been having trouble sleeping on my left side because of secpvere shoulder pain for awhile now. Recently I have been getting what feels like electrical shocks in my left hand and arm. Also, when shopping the other day I felt the same sensation in my head, list my balance and nearly fell. I felt very weird after that, I had to sit down for awhile. I also have trigger finger in my left hand, ring finger. What is causing all this and what should I do?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs evalaution.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thanks for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your query I will like to tell you that there arefew probabilties that comes to mind .

First is cervical spondylosis which is giving rise to shoulder pain , vertigo , and neuropathy symptoms along your hand.A cervical x ray is recommended for the same .

Second could be starting of Frozen Shoulder , it would also present with same features.

Thirdly it could be carpal tunnel syndrome which could give rise to such symptoms. If cervical spine (neck X-ray) is normal, wrist evaluation - X-ray with nerve conduction tests are necessary.

Your local doctor / orthopedician will know about these tests. It would be worthwhile to consult them. You also must get your sugar levels checked as you also suffered from trigger finger which is very common in diabetics. So get an HbA1c done.

Untill then you can take paracetamol or any other pain medication for pain relief .

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 13 hours later
Thank you for you quick response. Is it best to see a neurologist or an orthopedist for this problem? I have seen an orthopedist for the trigger finger, he only gave me the cortizone shots. It has since gotten worse. I will go for my physical and have bloodwork done regarding the possibility of diabetes. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thanks for reverting back.

In my opinion , neurologist will be a better choice for the same . You should see him early . Any problems you have you can get in touch with me anytime.

Dr. Shruti
Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist