Suggest remedy for severe anxiety and depression

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Hi, I have been suffering with mental illness all my life. I am getting worse. Social anxiety keeps me in my house most of the time. It really got bad for me right after I turned 30. I am 42 now and I am really bad now. I had a baby at 38 and I can hardly function at all. I do take care of him though. He is my life. I lost my mom almost 3 years ago then my sister 5 months later. Now my anxiety is worse then ever. I stopped talking to almost everyone. I cry everyday. I am really scared. I have been reading up on mental illness and I came across borderline personality disorder I have always knew about this disorder but an online test diagnosed me with it now I am so upset because I hear people with this disorder are not good people. I have been diagnosed with several disorders but never that one and never bipolar is it possible to have borderline personality and not be a bad person who don't care about anyone but themselves. I do care, about everyone I go out of my way to help and make others happy. Is it possible I could have this disorder? Also, I barely have energy to leave my room and my social anxiety is extremely debilitating I am not sure how I can get help now? Please help! Cammi
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
probably depression and not borderline personality.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.
I can understand your concerns.

You have been dealing with social anxiety since long. Now you have stopped talking to everyone, cry frequently, scared and sad.

I think you have developed depression secondary to your social anxiety.

It is most probably not borderline personality disorder (BPD). BPD has certain distinctive clinical features like frequent mood swings, anger outbursts, transient paranoid ideas, multiple relationships, disturbed self identity, suicidal attempts, attention seeking behaviours.

Those online tests are not reliable. The best way to confirm the diagnosis is to get assessed by a psychiatrist.

You have taken zoloft, abilify, wellbutrin and adderall in past which stopped working for you.
As your anxiety is now debilitating, I would suggest you to try benzos like clonazepam or alprazolam (prescription drug) with doses slightly on higher side.
Other than this, drugs like inderal, lyrica or neurontin can also help.
Relaxation exercises like deep breathing and meditation will also help.

Kindly consult a psychiatrist for further management.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to ask further.
Thanks.