Suggest remedy for pus discharge from hole near the scar

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 27 Aug 2015 in Lump
Question: i had the procedure for a scabeos cyst done 2 weeks ago where my back was cut ans stitched i had 3 stitches out last monday but they left one in cos of black pus from it has 4th stitch out yesterday and was told there is a small hole at bottom of scar and still has black pus can you plese tell me what it is and what should i do thankyou
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please attach a photo if its possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Can you please attach a photo of the wound? Otherwise it is very hard to give valuable answer.
Generally if the pus is still present in the wound, it may indicate that the cyst was not removed completely or it has been infected. Depending of the pus amount, there might be a need to drain it.
If there is only a trace of pus, you may just wash it with water and soap and wait till it will drain by itself.

This is the best I can tell not being able to see it.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
what about the small hole at bottom of scar initally the cyst i had was squeezed out by my nurses at dr surgery and was packed with iodine it ihad 3 hole small but the depth of hole was 33 cm had it like this for 7 months & wasnt healing eventually got app to haqve it cut and stitched up , the man who did the op said he would make the 2 holes remaining into 1 but that meant id still have to have it packed he sais it was healing but i said other consultant said it wasnt so he went ahead with the procedure under local anesthetic so in your opionion does that mean i will have to go and have it all done again thank you cant take photo as it on me back quite high up
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It seems that the capsule of the cyst has not been removed.

Detailed Answer:
Sebaceus cyst has a capsule. If the capsule isnt removed completely, the cyst can regrow, and will regrow for sure. No doubt in that. Now, from your description I do not think the whole capsule has been removed. So this sounds like another surgery will be necessary.
The hole in the wound bottom appeared because the pus has to be drained somehow. This is the natural way of drainage. So the hole is a result of pus presence. If the pus disappears, the hole will disappear as well.