Suggest remedy for persistent cold, running nose and wheezing in an infant

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi Doctor,
My son xxxxx( 21 months) is suffering from clod for the last three months. Mostly he is suffering from running nose and snoring. Even during summer he is facing the same issue. So far we have tried many medicines but there is not use including home remedies and homeopathy as well. Below are the medicines that we have used for the last three months. Please suggest us if you would like us to go for any further check ups. Because of this his food intake has also gone down but still he is active. We are very worried and please suggest us our further steps.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like allergic phenomenon

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic. Greetings from XXXXXXX

By what you quote I feel what your kid could be having viral associated wheeze or multi triggered wheeze or a mild to moderate severe persistent allergic rhinitis. I have a few questions for you -
Questions:
1. How many days per month does he cough or feel breathless?
2. How many nights per month does his sleep get disturbed due to above symptoms?
3. Does he feel breathless when he runs around or plays with other kids?
4. Are the symptoms when there are seasonal changes?
5. Is there any family history of asthma or any other sort of allergies like skin allergy etc.?
6. Is the cough always associated with fever?
7. Always is the cough more or cold and runny nose more?
8. How many days per month does his sleep get disturbed with above symptoms... And what symptoms are those....Cold/ runny nose/ blocked nose/ cough.

No point in using antibiotics every time. It will do more harm than good by increasing bacterial resistance.

Please get back with answers.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 39 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for your quick turnaround...
Below are my responses for your questions above
1. How many days per month does he cough or feel breathless? Comments: He does not have cough or breathless XXXXXXX Only cough stays for 2 days for XXXXXXX
2. How many nights per month does his sleep get disturbed due to above symptoms? Comments: Since birth he wakes up every night for milk hence not sure if he is getting up because of above symptoms
3. Does he feel breathless when he runs around or plays with other kids? Comments: No He does not feel breathlessness
4. Are the symptoms when there are seasonal changes? Comments: it stays trough out
5. Is there any family history of asthma or any other sort of allergies like skin allergy etc.? Comments: NO
6. Is the cough always associated with fever? Comments: NO
7. Always is the cough more or cold and runny nose more? : Runny nose more
8. How many days per month does his sleep get disturbed with above symptoms... And what symptoms are those....Cold/ runny nose/ blocked nose/ cough. Comments: Comment: As mentioned he gets up for milk and we are not sure if that is for cold. If he gets up may be it is for blocked nose.

Please let me know if you need any further information and Thank you so much for your response and help on this.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Looks like moderate to severe persistent allergic rhinitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi....I have gone through your answer in detail. I feel that your kid is having moderate to severe persistent allergic rhinitis.

If I were your pediatrician I would do -

1. Serum IgE levels.
2. Absolute eosinophil count.
3. Intra nasal steroid spray for 4 weeks.
4. I prefer using Flomist nasal spray 1 spray in each nostril twice a day.
5. Take a video with sound while the kid is sleeping close shot showing the mouth breathing and snoring noise. Take another video after a month of treatment as suggested. You will find a drastic difference.
6. Continue Montair - do not stop for another 4 weeks.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 56 minutes later
Hello Dr XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back to us. Sure I will do those tests and will get back to you with the results.

With REgards,
XXXXXXX
Brief Answer:
Will be awaiting your reply

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ...I will be awaiting your reply.

At the same time I suggest you discuss about these investigations and options of management with your pediatrician too. I am telling this because the medicines I suggested need a Prescription.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth