• question-icon

Suggest remedy for numbness after carotid artery surgery

Posted on Mon, 24 Nov 2014 in Veins and Arteries
Question: Had Carotid artery surgery to remove plaque 4 months ago. i am still numb and have a tight feeling but now have a small bulge/lump on that side and got a little pain in it. What could that be? is this a sign of another blockage?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Healing tissue

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for contacting HCM

You are concerned about a new lump with pain in the location of your recent carotid artery surgery. This lump is related to the scar tissue as the area heals. It is not a hernia or additional blockage. The blockage that comes with a carotid artery is internal and can not be felt. The area that is bulging will take several weeks to months to resolve but is to be expected after surgery.

I can reassure you that the things you are experiencing are normal and nothing to be worried about.

Hope answered your question. Please contact us again with your medical questions and concerns.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ronald Schubert