Suggest remedy for low sodium and potassium levels in body
HCTZ related side effects.Substitute it with a safer antihypertensive.
I understand your concern.
The predominant cause of low body electrolytes in your case is due to the excessive action of hydrochlorothiazide.
This antihypertensive drug is known to cause salt loss from the body predisposing him/her to subjective weakness and fatigue initially.
Diabetes even though causes weakness is not the prime suspect in your case.Hence it can be comfortably ruled out.Still in case of doubt you can get a fasting and postprandial blood glucose level estimation.
As of now even the low blood pressure can be strongly attributed to the drug Hydrochlorothiazide.
I advise you to stop HCTZ gradually and substitute with another class of anti hypertensives like beta blockers/ace inhibitors to control your blood pressure, after consulting your treating physician.
Once HCTZ is removed,the electrolytes slowly regain to their normal levels.No specific therapy is needed.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Low sodium levels in body
- What treatment is suggested for low potassium levels in body
- Low potassium and sodium causes
- Does potassium push sodium out of the body
- Low potassium and low sodium
- Low sodium high potassium levels
- Symptoms of low potassium sodium
- Suggest treatment for elevated sodium and potassium levels
- Low sodium and potassium levels
- Sodium bicarbonate and potassium levels