Suggest remedy for fatigue, blurry vision and shortness of breath

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: For several months I have been experiencing extreme fatigue, lack of ability to concentrate (and some moodiness), intermittant blurry vison, shortness of breath with any activity, as well as some weight gain (although I am still at the upper end of a healthly weight for my height, NOT obese). I also have several day or week episodes of a metallic taste in my mouth, my eyes BURN to the point of tearing almost daily and I ITCH (especially at night). I have terrible insurance so with these vague symptoms I can' afford to go to the doctor and run lots of tests. Additionally - #1 - I have HBP that is hard to control...I am currently supposed to take 20mg of Lisinopril but when I take it regularly my BP has gotten as low as 70/48 making me barely able to stand up so I just take my meds when it starts getting high...after missing a few doses it climbs to 180/115+. #2 - I have had gestational diabetes with 3 pregnancies that required insulin but the condition resolved after birth. Recently my blood sugar has been been a little high...170 - 260 a couple hours after eating anything sugary or fattening (pizza, cereal etc.). My fasting AM blood sugar is about 115. #3 - I bought some urine test strips and everything looks normal except I consistently have a trace levels of protein and high "gravity". I am so tired of just generally "feeling bad". I am normally a very motivated individual (a bit type A lol) but my lack of ability to concentrate and fatigue is making it hard to be the "achiever" I have always been. Do these symptoms sound like anything specific or do I just need to power through?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 33 minutes later
Brief answer....need to get your blood pressure and diabetes under tight control.
Detailed answer...
I have read your query and understand your concern.
Apparently your symptoms are due to...
1st...uncontrolled high blood pressure and uncontrolled diabetes.
2nd....there could be additional deficiencies of iron,calcium,VIT D,VIT B12 etc. 
You also need to be investigated for thyroid and kidneys to look for level of leaking proteins.
You may reduce the dose of lisinopril from 20 to 10 and see the response.I hope it would settle.
For your diabetes,you must take some medicines in addition to observing dietary control and doing regular exercises. For prescription of medicine you have to consult your doctor.
In addition get yourself tested specifically for those as mentioned above.
I have written only relevant and important  tests which you can get them done in consultation with your doctor.
In my opinion there is nothing to get depressed or desperate about your symptoms and well calculated and desired actions would sail you through.
A multipronged action and dedicated attitude would make you completely all right.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 17 minutes later
So you feel my blood sugars are high enough to seek treatment at this point? I know 200+ after meals is getting a little high but I thought my fasting (about 115 was still acceptable to not be considered diabetic...)
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 26 minutes later
For XXXXXXX diabetes reading of 200 after meals is sufficient to label you as diabetic.
You don't have to look at fasting level to label you as diabetic because any post meal reading above 200 is taken as confirmed diabetes.
You can try for non medical means to control your sugar levels by cutting sugar completely from your diet and going for aerobic exercises or fast walk for 45-60 minutes a day.
if these measures bring your sugar levels to normal levels,then you won't need anti diabetic medicines at the moment.
Thanks