Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

157 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest remedy for erectile dysfunction when diagnosed with enlarged prostate

Answered by
Dr. P. T. Patil


Practicing since :1971

Answered : 9946 Questions

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Men's Health
Question: I am currently 63years old and have type 2 diabetes, and and enlarged prostate which are both being by my physician. I also suffer with erectile dysfunction and I'm not ready to give up on a physical relationship with my wife. I have used both Viagra and Cialis in the past but they don't seem to work for me any more, aside from being just stupid expensive. I really hope you have some suggestions for getting my XXXXXXX back.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can have trial of Intra Cavernosal Injection of Caverjet .

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have Diabetes and Enlarged prostate and have problem of Erectile Dysfunction .

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Is your diabetes under control ?
2) Have you done blood test for Serum Testosterone levels ?

Problem of Erectile dysfunction at this age is due to reduced testosterone levels and generalized atherosclerotic changes in blood vessels that also involves penile artery
carrying arterial blood to erectile tissue .

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis
1) Serum Testosterone levels
2) Color Doppler Ultrasound Scanning of penis .

If your ED is detected to be due to vasculogenic in origin ans as Viagra or Cialis do not work for you ,the best treatment option to achieve hard erection would be to take Intra Cavernosal injection of Alprostadil (Caverjet) .

Please discuss this with your Urologist .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Erectile tissue

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am experiencing erectile dysfunction due to a prostratectomy along with removal of both nerves. When using the vacuum pump or injections I experience pain in my scrotum when the point where the scrotal sack is connected to the base of my penis is pulled by the erection. At that point I can no longer use the pump because the pain increases as that connection point is pulled into the pump. Today I had an injection and as my penis became about 80% erect the pain was at about a 7 or 8 on a scale of ten. I m seeing my urologist the first of July as a check on my PSA. Do you have any suggestions as to what could be causing the discomfort?

doctor1 MD

I am a 66 years male. I have erectile dysfunction for the last 15 years. The Penis has shrunk in size and since last one week I am experiencing pain in both my nipples. There is no lump. Is this serious? I am hypertensive with Ankylosing spondylitis (bamboo spine)

doctor1 MD

Hi. I have been suffering from erectile dysfunction for long. Whenever I got a little erection, it caused strong feelings/sensation in lower part of my chest, (in upper part of stomach. This sensation was similar to the sensation which happens during strong depression or fear). This would soon cause de-erection.

During last December I went to a heart specialist for other reasons. He advised some hearts tests which came out normal. The Doctor suggested tablet Loprine, a type of disprine, for me. After a few weeks of taking this tablet the strong feelings which used to appear during erection healed up and erectile dysfunction problem got normalized significantly, not completely though. Now this problem has come back again. Please tell me what should I do, I am 52 years old male.

doctor1 MD

I want to ask one thing that when i have sex , then my penis looks 1-2 cm bigger as compared to masturbation . can you explain the reason for increase in length?

doctor1 MD

I have been not getting erection in the morning and rarely throughout the day over the last 2 months. the only time I get erected is during masturbation . I don't know if prolong erections, when my girlfriend was around with making out without and...

doctor1 MD

Height- 5'10 Weight- 67KG Penile Measurement - Length: 5.9 - 6.0 inches Girth: 4.9 in the base, 4.5 just below the glans Dear Doctor, I am suffering from the below symptoms since June/2014. I am having penile pain and bend during erection in the...

doctor1 MD

dear doctor, Sir i have erectile dysfution.i have problem , that i cannot up and down my penis and erection is weak and erection cannot remain for one or two mintues.I am employee and cannot afford doctor in my home town.kindly help me i shall be thankful to you. YYYY@YYYY