Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
Nettipot, antihistamine or decongestant (or both), nasal steroid spray.
I do know first hand how uncomfortable that is to have drainage down the throat (and end up vomiting).
There is a cranial nerve (vagus nerve) that runs down the back of the throat and when stimulated can cause the vomit reflex.
So what to do about it? I'd address what is causing the frequent post nasal drainage.
1. Do you think you may be allergic to something? It is grass pollen season right now, but there are all year things people are allergic to also, such as indoor dust mites and molds. You can try an over the counter antihistamine such as Zyrtec (generic is cetirizine) or non-sedating Claritin.
2. If it is a residual symptom from a recent upper respiratory infection/cold or sinus infection, a decongestant might help. Phenylephrine is mild and not as stimulating as pseudoephedrine, but the later may help dry things up more. Both are over the counter but by law you need to ask the pharmacist for the Pseudoephedrine.
There are also combinations of both which can be helpful such as Zyrtec-D and Claritin-D.
3. A nasal corticosteroid spray such as Flonase can help stop the drainage. It may take a few days to reach it's maximum effect. It is good for decreasing the inflammatory response in either infection or allergy.
4. If you are having signs of a persistent infection such as discolored discharge from nose or throat - all day (not just when you get up in morning), low grade fevers, fatigue, sinus area pressure, and this has been going on for 2-3 weeks, you may need an antibiotic to help get rid of a possible infection.
5. A nettipot/saline irrigation can help too. You can buy a nettipot and pre made salt packets with instructions at drug stores. This will probably not eliminate the cause but can wash out mucus, germs, and allergens. If you use a nettipot and nasal steroid spray, separate them by at least an hour as the irrigation will just make the nasal spray medicine drip down to your stomach where you don't want it.
I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if there is anything I can clarify.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- How to stop vomiting sensation
- Have headache and vomiting sensation suggest medications
- Spondylitis and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for tiredness and vomiting sensation
- Reasons for vomiting sensation on cholestrol
- Constipation vomitting sensation pain in upper stomach suggest
- Suggest treatment for fever and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for vomiting sensation during pregnancy
- Vomiting sensation while smoking
- 39 weeks pregnant vomiting sensation dizziness suggestions
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis