• question-icon

Suggest remedies for sore throat

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I think i may have strained my throat but it was kind sore and over the last three days i cant drink or eat. The pain is spreading to my whole neck advil take a little bit away but it unbearable. I did have surgery and they scratched my throat with the tube it felt like that to start and just got worse over the last two days.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptomatic treatment, gargling, lozenges, anti inflammatory agent

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome.
I have gone through your query.
Sore throat is more often caused by viruses and require only symptomatic treatment.

You have mentioned about surgery, what kind of surgery you had undergone and for what.
Do you have cold?
Since when you have sore throat?

Presently I would suggest you some measures which will be beneficial in addressing your sore throat.

Gargling with warm salt water 2 to 3 times a day
Drink plenty of warm fluids, such as teas, soup, and water
Avoid allergens and irritants, such as smoke and chemicals that can induce or aggrevate your symptoms.
Taking throat lozenges like strepsil or cofsil 2 to 3 per day for 3 days will be beneficial.
Sore throat is associated with some inflammation, which can be reduced by ibuprofen or acetaminophen.

Kindly follow this measures, your symptoms should reduce.

This provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

I hope this suggestion might be of some help to you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Harish Naik