Suggest remedies for sore throat and cough

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had a sore throat a cough and no voice for two days now. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
rest, fluids, anti inflammatory pain killers, throat sprays, cough med

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The symptoms are most likely due a viral infection.

This is the most common cause though bacterial infection of the throat can also occur.
If the sore throat lasts longer than 4 to 5 days or it is very severe then may need to be assessed to see if antibiotics are needed.

Treatment would involve: (a) rest and fluids
(b) would need to restrict talking to help restore the voice. When talking use a soft voice rather that whispering

Whispering has been found to put stress on vocal cords

The use of a humidifier, if available, would also help your voice

(c)oral anti inflammatory pain killers would help with the throat pain eg naproxen, diclofenac, ibuprofen

Also topical sprays/gargles like chloroseptic, diflam or covonia throat spray may help
May have pain killer and antiseptic

(d)cough suppressant- these are over the counter eg dextromethorphan is the active ingredient in most

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 days later
Thank you doctor for all your advice. I will take your advice. XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
ok

Detailed Answer:
wish you all the best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak