Suggest remedies for persistent cough

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had a nagging two week cough and nothing has worked. I have even been to my doctor and he gave me a tablet to take but with no improvement. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take antihistamines like levo-cetrizine 10 mg with montekulast 5 mg,

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic,

Cough symptom since 2 weeks is likely due to inflammation of throat which in turn could be because of upper respiratory infection (pharyngitis,laryngitis or epiglotitis most probably).

Majority of cases throat pain are due to viral infection, but in some cases it could also be related to bacterial infection which is not in your case (strep test ruled out streptococcal pharyngitis).

You are likely to be having viral throat infection and also let me know if you have any other symptoms apart from coughing.

However,you should take below mentioned symptomatic treatment to get some relief if there is No improvement with Benzonatate.

1) Take pain killers with anti-inflammatory combination (like paracatamol and ibuprofen tablets if you are not allergic to this NSAIDs) twice or thrice daily which will reduce further inflammation in throat.It is available over the counter.

2) Take antihistamines like levo-cetrizine 10 mg or allegra 120mg twice daily for cough along with montekulast 5 mg combination. They are much potent than Benzonatate alone from the relief of cough.

3) Steam inhalation with warm salt water gargles will certainly help for symptomatic relief if you have congestion or voice problem of throat.

4) Maintain adequate fluid intake and drink plenty water which will help to flush viral infection. But avoid cold water or ice-cream.

5) Antibiotics will not require here since the bacterial infection is ruled out already.

And continue to take anti-anxiety medications (like tablet recita forte or whichever you are taking) for adequate sleep and to relieve from stress.

We may expect to see improvement within 3 to 5 days with above symptomatic treatment.

Hope this will help you.

Thanks and Regards,

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina