How can strep throat in children be treated?

Pediatrician
Question
My kids keep catching step throat. Are there any over the counter meds or vitamins I can give them to prevent strep?
Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Vitamins will not help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

Sore throat does not essentially mean that it is due to Strep. Rather, it could also be due to viral causes. Some children have a propensity. Giving vitamins will not help. Rather give him Montair LC (monteleukast + levocetirizine) (prescription medicine) or cetirizine (OTC) once daily during such episodes.

I will await your response.

Follow-up: How can strep throat in children be treated? 12 minutes later
They do have step. And they keep catching it. I took them to the doctor every time. They do the strep test at the doctors office and they end up positive for strep. This is the 5th time this year.

I looked online and saw there are probiotics available that I could give to them to prevent strep. Have you heard of anything like that?

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gurgling with lukewarm water should help

Detailed Answer:
In that case the tonsils need to be examined. What I have said still holds valid. Gurgling with lukewarm water should help.