Suggest remedies for nasal congestion, cold and cough in an infant

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 16 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi Doctor,

My baby is 1 year 4 months old. She has got cold and i have been giving sinarest syrup. Cold has reduced, but there is congestion due to which she is unable to breathe and drink milk. Can you please suggest medicine for nebulizer for baby and also for adults for cold and cough. Please suggst how many times it has to be taken.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Normal saline nebulization is usually sufficient

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

It would be best to give nebulization with normal saline (0.9% NaCl). You can give it every 4 hours. Give nebulization with Levolin (Levosalbutamol) 0.63mcg 6 hourly only if there is wheezing or respiratory distress. Continue to give Sinarest. Nothing else needs to be given.

You might like to discuss the treatment with her treating physician.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
hello, please suggest medication for adults for nebulization.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Same

Detailed Answer:
For adults the medicines would be the same. The dose of levolin would be 1.2 mcg for adults. Rest remains same.

For the moderator: Could you please do without rejecting answers? Why can you not request revision like this?